What if my former spouse does not pay child support as ordered?

On Behalf of | Oct 5, 2018 | Divorce |

When there is a divorce in New York and the couple has children, it is common for the custodial parent to receive child support payments from the noncustodial parent. It is important that these payments are made on time and in full. Unfortunately, many supporting parents do not keep up with their payments. This can leave the receiving parent unsure of how to proceed to get those payments. This is where the Child Support Enforcement Unit (CSEU) can be of help. Because a dispute over child support can be so contentious, it is always wise to have legal assistance from an experienced lawyer.

If there is a need for help with child support, a custodial parent or guardian can get it from CSEU. It makes no difference what their income is, if they are getting financial assistance, or if they are immigrants. For some, there are domestic issues that make it safer for the receiving parent to have their address hidden, this can also be done when seeking child support payments.

The CSEU can assist with: finding the noncustodial parent; serving the noncustodial parent with a summons; using the Support Collection Unit (SCU) to collect the child support and then send it to the custodial parent; and raising the amount the custodial parent gets via a Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) and not need to return to court to do so. When the supporting parent is behind on the payments, there can be a temporary increase in how much is to be paid; seize various income streams and saved assets; suspend the driver license; and inform credit report bureaus as to the failure to pay child support.

Issues in receiving child support will not clear up on their own. It is generally necessary to get assistance from the state to make sure that the payments are made as they are ordered. With a problem getting child support, it can lead to frazzled emotions and concerns as to what the future holds. Before letting the situation spiral out of control, having legal assistance is a must. A law firm that is experienced with all divorce legal issues including child support should be called to take the next step in getting those payments.